6 Peaceful Facts About Islam
Muslims are among the most misunderstood group of people in recent years. There are a lot of misconceptions around the religion of Islam, despite it being the religion of 23% of the world’s population. Nowadays, some Muslims even often experience discrimination. Among the biggest misconceptions is that Islam is a religion that promotes violence and terrorism – this is farthest from the truth. So, here are peaceful facts about Islam:
• Salam means peace. The term ‘Islam’ means ‘surrender’ or ‘submission’. However, it is derived from the word ‘salam’ which means peace. The Muslim greeting ‘Assalamualaikum’ means ‘peace be with you’.
• There is gender equality in Islam. According to Quran, 3:195, “Each of you is equal to the other.” Most gender inequalities that are evident in some Muslim societies actually have cultural origins, not religious origins. In Islam, men and women are equal spiritually, economically, socially, and politically.
• Islam is a dominant religion in other non-Arab countries. Contrary to what some people think, Islam is not concentrated among the Arab countries. In fact, the country with the most Muslims is NOT an Arab country; it is Indonesia. Other pre-dominantly Muslim countries are Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Iran, Turkey, Nigeria, and many more. This is also why religious art in Islam usually reflect various cultures of Islamic societies.
• Muslims accept and recognize the true Torah and Bible (Injeel). For Muslims, the original unaltered Torah and the original unaltered Bible (Injeel) were revealed by God to Moses and to Christ, respectively.
• Jihad means struggle or strive. Contrary to what some people think, Jihad does not mean ‘holy war’. What it actually means is “to struggle” or “to strive”. Muslims may refer to various personal struggles as jihad – their struggle to overcome ego, laziness, arrogance, and anything else that prevents them from submitting to the will of God.
• There are a lot of Muslim men of science. There are many notable Muslim men who have made significant contributions to the field of science and mathematics. Some of them are Jabir ibn Hayyan (early chemistry), al-Khwarizmi (algebra), al-Zahrawi (surgery), al-Razi (paediatrics), and Jabir ibn Aflah (trigonometry).
Author bio: Rana Tarakji is an entrepreneur and a contributing writer at Stylerail as well as Theflightacademycali.com.